When it comes to having electrical work done in your home, you probably know already that there are safety risks involved. But still, it seems more convenient and less costly to try to complete electrical installations and wiring jobs on your own, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, in most cases, you’ll be sacrificing your time and effort in doing so, as well as potentially your safety.
Professional installation is a good way to ensure that the installation job is done correctly, and that the risk of emergency repair needs down the road (not to mention the risk of electrocution or fire) is reduced. That all being said, instead of telling you that you should only trust a professional Nashville TN electrician, we’d like to share with you what can go wrong if you don’t.
You May Do a Poor Wiring Job
Something as seemingly minor as incorrect staple placement can cause irreversible damage to an electrical wire. For instance, if the staples are driven in too tightly and securing the wire to the beam where it’s installed, the wire can break down under the strain. This renders any electrical fixtures plugged in useless, and also creates a dangerous fire hazard.
Additionally, your wiring might be the wrong size, which is not something most homeowners think about. If your wiring is too thin for the appliances connected to it, then it will carry more current than it was designed to. Generally speaking, the thicker your wiring is, the more current it can safely carry. Similar to poor staple placement, this too can create a fire hazard.
If you ever notice that wiring feels warm when in use, or the switch or outlet on the wall feels warm when it’s in the “on” mode, then there’s a very good chance your wiring is too thin.
You May Have Exposed Wiring
When wiring is left uncovered, if it isn’t properly protected it can become damaged. This is especially true if the wiring is outside and has to contend with inclement weather at all. The most common case of this mistake we see in homes is an uncovered electrical panel or fuse box located on the exterior of the property.
This is a safety risk first and foremost. But also, you’re risking a whole-home power outage, which is of course something you never want to deal with any time of the year, but especially now as we’re still dealing with the hot and humid temperatures of summer.
You Might Have Loose Connections
Safe wiring jobs require tight electrical connections. Without this, your system can suffer from arcing and overheating, which leads to fire or injury—or both. An experienced, professional electrician will accurately choose a connector that fits your wiring.
You May Be Violating Building Codes
This is probably the most important reason to hire a pro for your electrical needs. Our extensively trained, certified, and experienced electricians are aware of the building codes for the communities we serve, are licensed to serve those communities, and stay updated so you aren’t in for any sudden surprises such as monetary fines or demands to have your electrical problems fixed by a professional anyway.
Additionally, professionals will always know what components are necessary for any specific electrical installations, and we will have the right tools and parts on hand to get the job done right the first time. This saves you time and effort—plus it gives you a peace of mind!