Skip navigation


Covenant Heating and Cooling Blog

How to Avoid Electrical Shock in Your Home

Electricity is what has made modern living possible. We have access to “smart” devices to make living our lives more convenient than ever. We can remotely adjust our HVAC systems, turn our lighting on and off, lock the doors, etc. However, the use of electricity can come with hazards, if you don’t take the proper precautions. So, what are these precautions? Read on to find out!

Don’t Overload Your Outlets

Be careful about using a single outlet to power too many appliances at once–this isn’t a great idea! Overloading your electrical outlets can cause a number of issues, such as power surges that damage the wiring itself, small electrical fires, and electric shock. A best practice to keep in mind is to have separate electric points for every major appliance (so your HVAC equipment, entertainment equipment, dishwasher, water heater, etc.)

If you haven’t had your electrical system inspected in at least a year or your electrical panel checked to see if it needs upgrading, then contacting us for these services is a good idea too.

Keep Water Away from Electric Components and Outlets

Hopefully, you’re very well aware that water and electricity are a bad combo! Ensure that you don’t have standing water anywhere near electric appliances, switches, or cords. You should also avoid setting up electric appliances near water fixtures.

Of course, this is a bit unavoidable in places like your bathroom and kitchen area. So in here, you want to ensure you have GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet in place, as this cuts off the flow of electricity if an electrical appliance does come in contact with water.

Avoid Extetension Cords When You Can

Extension cords are super convenient, right? When you need to quickly make an electric connection in a part of the home where you don’t have a power outlet, an extension cord seems like the way to go. But you should avoid making this a permanent fixture in the home, because they can overheat if too many switches are plugged into it, creating a risk for electrical shock and electrical fire.

Child-proof and Pet-proof Your Wires

Kids and pets are both naturally curious, and that curiosity extends to things like electrical wires, switches, sockets, and appliances. Ensure that you have tamper-resistant safety caps on any unused outlets that are within reach for these little ones, and keep appliances at a place where kids can reach them as well. Plus, it’s not a good idea to use extension cords when kids and pets are around either.

Be Aware of Warm Outlets

Have you noticed that your outlets are getting warm without extended use? Please don’t ignore this problem. Give us a call so we can look into it! Loos wiring within the outlet can cause overheating, electrical shock, and electrical fire, which isn’t good for the wiring or the appliances attached to it.

If you do notice warm outlets or switches (with the exception of dimmer switches, which do get naturally warm), please give our team a call right away!

To get in touch with reliable electricians in Smyrna, TN, contact the team “Dedicated to the Promise of Serving You”–Covenant Heating and Cooling.

Comments are closed.

Join Our Mailing List: