What do color televisions, air conditioners, and personal computers have in common? At one time in history, they were considered “luxury items” but are now commonplace in homes. As their technology increased and the cost went down, more and more households decided these were items they couldn’t live without.
Standby generators are another home system that’s increasingly being seen as essential. No matter the cause, it’s a fact that the number of natural disasters and heat waves in areas that have never experienced extreme temperatures is increasing every year.
And with additional demand on power grids and rolling blackouts, homeowners are experiencing more days–not just hours–without electricity than ever before. Let’s look at why standby generators are being considered the next must-have home system.
Portable Vs Standby Generators
Portable generators have been popular for decades and not just for supplying extra power to a home. From tailgaters to construction workers, they have their benefits. However, they also have many shortcomings when it comes to keeping a house powered on during an outage.
- They emit carbon monoxide and must be placed outside the home. This means you need a long, heavy-duty extension cord to reach your home.
- They have to be manually started when needed. That’s a huge inconvenience if you’re not at home when the power goes out.
- Their output capacity is small which means you’ll only be able to power a few items in your home and it can’t handle powering something like a furnace or AC.
- They run on gas or propane and keeping these on hand can be a major inconvenience.
- Their tanks are small which means they need to be refilled several times a day which will get old really quickly.
Benefits of Standby Generators
- You can keep your entire home powered on during an outage. That includes your appliances, alarm system, HVAC system, internet, and lights.
- You don’t have to be home to turn them on when the power goes out. They have an automatic switch that can detect when the power is out and can turn itself on.
- You can get up to a 5% discount on your homeowner’s insurance for having a standby generator installed in your home.
- Standby generators are a great investment and will increase your property value. They’re also a strong selling feature for potential buyers.
- They’re a lot safer to run because they don’t use gas or propane. They’re also safer and more convenient considering you don’t have to go outside to refill them several times a day.
If you’re uncertain if a standby generator is the next must-have appliance for your home, give us a call. Although it might not be as flashy as a new computer or 4K Ultra-HD TV, you’ll be singing its praises during the next extended power outage. We’d be happy to discuss your options and the cost to purchase a standby generator and have it installed by a professional team such as ours.
Covenant Heating and Cooling is your trusted resource for standby generation installation in Brentwood, TN. We are “Dedicated to the Promise of Serving You!” Contact us today.